2019 - Roving Curators
The expert peers have recommended that 11 organisations be supported with 98 days of Roving Curator time in this round. The Roving Curators are a team of skilled and knowledgeable museum and cultural heritage professionals based in Launceston.
The funding recommendations were made by expert peers drawn from the Cultural and Creative Industries Expert Register.
Feedback from the expert peers
The peers provided the following feedback for current and future applicants:
- The peers expressed support for applications that included a clear explanation of how the proposed activity would contribute to developing or progressing the collection and its volunteers. Applications that included clear information relating to the physical location of the collection (such as photos or floorplans) were also well considered.
- Applicants lodging more than one application to Arts Tasmania’s programs were encouraged to explain how the applications related to each other.
- Organisations seeking Roving Curator time should include a clear and simple breakdown of how the Roving Curator time would be used.
- The peers noted that wherever possible, the information covered in support material or attachments should not be repeated within the written body of the application. They also noted the importance of including relevant letters of support from individuals or organisations involved in the proposed activity.
- The peers commended applicants for consulting with Arts Tasmania staff, including the Roving Curators, before lodging applications, but noted that information provided by staff should not be included within the application without customisation to meet the applicants specific needs.
Roving Curator time
The following organisations will receive Roving Curator assistance through Arts Tasmania’s program in 2019.
Australian Axemen’s Association Inc - 10 days towards a collection management project for the Australian Axeman’s Hall of Fame.
Australian Flying Corps and Royal Australian Air Force Association Tasmania Division Inc - 10 days towards a review of the Collection Policy and management and exhibition project for the RAAFA (Tasmania Division) Museum.
Derby Community Development Association - 15 days towards a collection management project and Forward/Expansion Plan for the Derby Schoolhouse Museum.
Derwent Valley Railway Preservation Society Inc. - 10 days towards a collection management project for the Derwent Valley Railway Collection.
Devonport City Council - 15 days towards a Touring Exhibition and associated Education Program for the Bass Strait Maritime Centre.
Fingal Valley Neighbourhood House - 7 days towards a collection management project.
Mawson's Huts Foundation - 10 days towards a collection management and interpretation project for Mawson's Huts Replica Museum.
National Trust of Australia (Tasmania) - 3 days towards revealing the history and stories of the Old Umbrella Shop’s Collection: a display planning project
Parkham Community Inc. - 3 days towards an exhibition planning project for the Parkham Community Inc’s History Collection.
The Trustees of the Diocese of Tasmania - 8 days towards an Interpretation Plan project for the St John's Church History Collection.
Wynyard RSL Sub-Branch - 7 days towards the development of an Interpretation Plan and assistance with display techniques.
Existing Roving Curator time recipients
In the 2018 round, two recipients were supported for two year projects, which will continue in 2019.
National Trust of Australia (Tasmania) - 19 days (over two years) towards the development of a Significance Assessment for the Joseph and Dame Enid Lyons Collection, housed at Home Hill.
West Coast Heritage Limited - 19 days (over two years) towards the development of a significance assessment for the West Coast Heritage Centre.
The following peers assessed in round three (incorporating the Arts Tasmania Claudio Alcorso International Residency, Artsbridge, the Aboriginal Arts Program, the Cultural Heritage Program, the Cultural Heritage Program (multi-year), Education Residencies, the FIND Contemporary Jewellery Collective Bursary, low-interest loans, the Lynne Stacpoole Caring for Your Collection Grant, the Northern Tasmania Arts Organisations Initiative, Roving Curators, the Tasmanian Theatre Fund, Tasmanian Residencies and Youth Arts Organisations):
- Adam Thompson
- Angela Boxall
- Angela Driver
- Caitlin Comerford
- Carin Mistry
- Chris Bendall
- Dan Rooke
- Eve Klein
- Helen Foster
- Jillian Mundy
- John Saunders
- Joshua Lowe
- Julie Waddington
- Kate Cherry
- Kelly Slater
- Linda Clark
- Lisa Gormley
- Liz Tew
- Lola Greeno
- Marion Potts
- Phillip Blacklow
- Rebecca Holmes
- Robert O’Connor
- Ruth Langford
- Sam Cuff
- Sarah McCormack
- Sophie Carnell
- Stephen Salt
- Tansy Rayner-Roberts
- Teangi Brown
- Tony Brown
- Vicki West