2018-19 - Vita Brown Bequest Bursary
A total of five applications were received to this round, with the expert panel recommending that two projects be supported with funds of $1 000.
The funding recommendations were made by expert peers drawn from the Cultural and Creative Industries Expert Register.
Feedback from the expert peers
The peers provided the following feedback for current and future applicants:
- The peers emphasised the importance of artistic support material and encouraged applicants to provide as much as the relevant program allowed.
- It is important to avoid making assumptions when writing an application. Many applications included the names of collaborators or organisations without providing any additional information, making assessment difficult.
- A well-presented web presence is an important part of any profession, with peers often finding additional information about an applicant or a project by doing their own research online.
- Applicants are encouraged to use plain English when writing applications. The peers noted that the applications that were academic in nature or relied heavily on art form specific language were unduly difficult to assess.
- Letters of support should come from someone who genuinely knows you and your practice. They should demonstrate an understanding of the project and outline benefits clearly. Peers advised against using generic support letters or letters supplied for an application to another funding body, where possible.
The following artists and organisations received funding through the Vita Brown Bequest Bursary.
Arita Ghedini - $500 towards the purchase of jewellery equipment
Clare Powell - $500 towards the purchase of audio equipment and software
The following peers assessed in round two (incorporating Artsbridge, the Vita Brown Bequest Bursary, the Jeju International Residency, Support for Individuals and Groups, Support for Organisations, Support for Organisations [multi-year] and low-interest loans):
- Angela Boxall
- Anita Ondine
- Ben Walter
- Carin Mistry
- David Edgar
- Eve Klein
- Felicity Bott
- Geoff Dobson
- Kate Gordon
- Kath Melbourne
- Margaret Woodward
- Matthew Lamb
- Michelle Boyde
- Penny Miles
- Peter Bowles
- Rebecca Coote
- Robert Jarman
- Robert Lewis
- Sarah McCormack
- Simon Spain
- Sinsa Mansell
- Stephanie Eslake
- Toby Muir-Wilson
- Tony Brown