Aboriginal Arts Program 2018-19
The Aboriginal Arts Program invests in contemporary Aboriginal arts, traditional arts, craft and cultural practices continue to develop in Tasmania.
The expert peers have recommended that six projects be supported with funds of $23 306 in this round.
The funding recommendations were made by expert peers drawn from the Cultural and Creative Industries Expert Register.
Feedback from the expert peers
The peers provided the following feedback for current and future applicants
- The peers noted that those applications with clear project outline, proposed activities, timeline and budget were far more competitive in this round.
- The peers also noted that it was evident where applicants had communicated with the Program Officer prior to submitting their application and encouraged applicants to plan their projects well in advance of grant round closing dates.
- Applicants are encouraged to proof read applications prior to submitting to ensure project objectives and outcomes are clearly articulated and that the budget and supporting documentation is relevant and correct.
- Applicants are encouraged to seek assistance in the preparation of their application in order that it be competitive and to ensure to include supporting documentation in relation to activities outlined in their applications.
The following artists and organisations received funding through Arts Tasmania’s Aboriginal Arts Program.
- Ms Lillian Wheatley - $5 000 towards creating a new body of work for exhibiting.
- Mr Richard Griffiths - $1 806 towards a solo exhibition in New South Wales.
- Blue Cow Theatre - $4 825 towards working with Aboriginal practitioner, Jordy Gregg.
- Ms Sinsa Mansell - $4 415 towards cultural dance workshops across Tasmania.
- Ms Takira Simon - $5 000 towards a mentorship with printmaker, John Robinson.
- Ms Janet Ross - $2 260 towards developing a new video work.
The following peers assessed in round three (incorporating the Arts Tasmania Claudio Alcorso International Residency, Artsbridge, the Aboriginal Arts Program, the Cultural Heritage Program, the Cultural Heritage Program (multi-year), Education Residencies, the FIND Contemporary Jewellery Collective Bursary, low-interest loans, the Lynne Stacpoole Caring for Your Collection Grant, the Northern Tasmania Arts Organisations Initiative, Roving Curators, the Tasmanian Theatre Fund, Tasmanian Residencies and Youth Arts Organisations):
- Adam Thompson
- Angela Boxall
- Angela Driver
- Caitlin Comerford
- Carin Mistry
- Chris Bendall
- Dan Rooke
- Eve Klein
- Helen Foster
- Jillian Mundy
- John Saunders
- Joshua Lowe
- Julie Waddington
- Kate Cherry
- Kelly Slater
- Linda Clark
- Lisa Gormley
- Liz Tew
- Lola Greeno
- Marion Potts
- Phillip Blacklow
- Rebecca Holmes
- Robert O’Connor
- Ruth Langford
- Sam Cuff
- Sarah McCormack
- Sophie Carnell
- Stephen Salt
- Tansy Rayner-Roberts
- Teangi Brown
- Tony Brown
- Vicki West