Funding for small museums and collections across the state
Tuesday, 20 November 2012
The successful recipients for the 2013 Small Museums and Collections Program have been announced.
The program will provide grants totalling $39 200 in funding and 147 days of Roving Curator time to 16 organisations, community museums and historical societies/groups in the South, North and North-West.
Together, the grants program and access to the assistance provided by the Roving Curators assists to improve the quality of information available about our state’s collections and increases public access to this information.
The Roving Curator Program, now in its sixth year, enhances the curatorial practice and management of these collections by providing guidance and advice on collection management, preventative conservation, research, archiving, interpretation and presentation practices.
The Small Museums and Collections Program provides invaluable professional advice and funding for the small museums and collections sector throughout Tasmania, which is almost entirely volunteer-run.
Our small museums and other collections are both story-tellers and custodians of our state’s heritage and provide us as visitors with amazing experiences, whilst protecting and maintaining the history of Tasmania.
The 2013 Small Museums and Collections program recipients are:
Roving Curator Support
- About Campbell Town Inc (Heritage Highway Museum and Visitor Information Centre)
- Devonport RSL Sub-Branch Inc. (Jack Mason Memorial Military Museum)
- Friends of Deal Island Wildcare Inc (Kent Group Museum)
- Wesley Hobart Museum
- TIAGARRA Tasmanian Aboriginal Cultural Centre and Museum
- Eric Thomas Galley Museum
Grant and Roving Curator Support
- Devonport City Council (Devonport Maritime Museum)
- Tasmanian Wool Centre
- Tasmania Fast Ferry Museum
- Wilmot Museum
- Design Forum Tasmania
- National Trust of Australia (Tasmania) Tasmanian State Office
- National Trust of Australia (Tasmania) Old Umbrella Shop
- Glamorgan-Spring Bay Historical Society
- Maritime Museum of Tasmania
- Military Heritage Foundation Tasmania (Australian Army Museum Tasmania)
- Circular Head Heritage Centre
A full list of grants announced in the Small Museum and Collections program is available at www.arts.tas.gov.au/recipients