The Tasmanian Young Writer's Fellowship
How to enter
Complete the online nomination form and payment to enter.
This $5 000 prize will be awarded to a young Tasmanian writer (aged 30 years and under) and is generously supported by philanthropists who wish to remain anonymous.
The Tasmanian Young Writer's Fellowship celebrates the strength and breadth of young Tasmanian writing and acknowledges that talent is evident regardless of age or career history. It is intended to:
- encourage young writers to see themselves as an integral and important part of the Tasmanian writing community
- encourage them to interact with events such as the Premier's Literary Prizes
- act as industry validation of young writers' talent
- financially assist the recipient in their immediate future.
The donors are offering the award to acknowledge the state that inspires them and the artists who deserve recognition within it.
The prize is awarded to the writer, not to a particular work, and as such is a stand-alone celebration of the writer's abilities. There is no prescribed writing style. Applicants should provide a ten-page sample of their work in any style or genre (i.e. prose, poetry, play script, essay, writing for children etc.), which in their minds best demonstrates their literary talent. The ten-page sample may include several different pieces, or be part of a larger work.
Three shortlisted writers will then be asked to provide a larger sample of their work.
Two years after receiving the award, the recipient will be asked to write an artist's statement articulating where their writing has led them, or how it has evolved, so as to encourage others to consider entering the award.
Entries for the 2017 Premier’s Literary Prizes are open from 16 February 2017 to 3 April 2017.
Conditions of entry
- Nominees must be 30-years-old or younger on 31 March 2017.
- A Tasmanian writer is defined as one who has resided in Tasmania for six of the last 12 months.
- The writer must be living on the date of entry.
- Writing submitted may include non-fiction or fiction for adults or children, graphic novels, poetry or play scripts.
- Nominations will only be accepted from writers.
- The writing sample must be typed and double-spaced.
- A writer cannot receive the prize more than once but writers who have previously nominated but not won can enter again.
- Writers nominating for the Tasmanian Young Writer's Prize are also eligible to enter works in the other Premier's Literary Prizes categories.
- The closing date for nominations is 3 April 2017.
- Writers must complete the online entry form including payment details and upload a ten-page writing sample (in PDF or Word format) by the closing date.
- Entry fee: AU$40 (plus GST).
- Nominees will receive confirmation of their entry and receipt of payment.
- Shortlisted writers may be required for press interviews and promotional purposes before and after the announcement of the prizes.
- Shortlisted writers must make themselves available to participate in the Premier's Literary Prizes shortlist announcement event expected to be held in September 2017 and the winners' announcement event in late November 2017. Both of these events will be held in Hobart.
- The decision of Arts Tasmania regarding eligibility is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If Arts Tasmania decides that a nominee does not meet the criteria then the entry fee will be refunded.
- A panel of three judges, selected by the Premier’s Literary Prizes Advisory Committee, will judge the entries for both the University of Tasmania Prize and the Tasmanian Young Writer's Fellowship.
- Arts Tasmania has the right to request proof of eligibility.
- All decisions are final and no discussion or correspondence shall be entered into regarding the judging process.
Breach of conditions of entry will render an entry invalid.